Roy's Hawaiian - in Newport Beach

One weekend, just for fun (and for the points on opentable.com), Jen and I went to Roy's Hawaiian fusion cuisine in Newport Beach, because we wanted to see how good this popular restaurant chain was... Two appetizers that we ordered: on the left, a "Sunrise at Halekala" roll - tuna, hamachi, salmon, avocado & tempura roll, with Togarashi butter sauce, and on the right, a "Hawaiian Style Ahi Poketini", with wasabi aioli, avocado, and tobiko caviar. Both very good, although not outstanding, in my own personal opinion.
Second, a "Shinko Dragon Pear Salad", with goat cheese, dried cranberries & blueberries, candied pecans, pepitas, and a dark balsamic vinaigrette.
I always love fish, especially prepared in a more asian-style flavor, so I ordered "Roy's Classic Trio" - from left to right: butterfish marinated with miso, in a sizzling soy vinaigrette, blackened ahi tuna with a spicy soy mustard sauce, and a grilled salmon with a citrus ponzu sauce. Pretty good, although the fish was a little bit soft and overcooked, I think.
Jen's main dish - a larger version of one of the fish in my trio: a misoyaki butterfish on a bed of sushi rice.

Dessert was Roy's "signature melting hot chocolate souffle", with vanilla ice cream a la mode. It was very good, although I have a dessert confession - while I love a LOT of different desserts, chocolate souffles are not one of them. Jen thought it was good though, and it was well prepared, I must admit.

Roy's Hawaiian Fusion Cuisine on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment